The Baby Boomer Generation

The Baby Boomer Generation

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Can You Say Road Trip?

I've just returned to Longview, Texas from California. My husband and I, my oldest brother and his Significant Other made the trip in their Yukon XL. It is big and more comfortable than I imagined. It also got pretty good gas mileage on the highway. I was pleasantly surprised about this because I had heard all the horror stories of six miles per gallon! It's been awhile since I've been on a road trip....I usually fly. I actually hate flying but it is the quickest way to  go. We gassed up, got fried chicken (yep, just like the old days), plenty of water and soda, chips, etc. and we were on the road.

We initially paid $3.22 for gas in Arlington, Texas. The further west we got the more we paid for gas. Our final gas purchase in Timecula, California was $4.79 per gallon. Californians are being robbed! No doubt about it. We stopped at a lot of truck stops...the whole truck stop phenomenon facinates me. I don't know why and perhaps I should talk to a professional (counselor). These truck stops have everything. Food, clothing, trinkets, showers, on site dentists (I am not making this up), and lots of other things you don't want to know about!

The trip to California was routine and went pretty smooth. We stopped to rest for a couple of hours and made the trip in twenty four hours. My Mom and Dad are from Texas so that's pretty much what I'm accustomed to, having made the trip so many times in the past. However, on the trip back to Texas, passing through Casa Grande, Arizona, we had a flat and went to a nearby discount tire shop. They fixed the flat for free....really, wouldn't take a tip or anything! Wow...I couldn't believe it. It made me look around and say "Where are we?"  It is nice to know this kind of service is still available in this day and age of economic decline. They treated us senior citizens of color with kindness and respect. I will now seek out the Discount Tire Shop and give them business and share my experience with friends and family.

My brother and husband are macho men. That means they want to do most of the driving until it is no longer humanly possible and then and only then will they release the wheel for a mere female driver. I'd like to expand on this whole macho way of thinking thing....perhaps in my next post. Having four brothers and two sons....I got stories.

Overall, our trip was nice and we had lots of fun. Of course at 64 and 65 years old we can't bounce back like we used to so pardon me while I take a couple of days to recoup!

dee dee

No comments: