The Baby Boomer Generation

The Baby Boomer Generation

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Do I really need a landline?

I decided the money I am spending for a landline could be used for other things. I have a bundle package from my phone company that includes the DSL needed for high speed internet. As soon as I found out I could have DSL without the landline  (ok so I'm slow and should have asked about this months ago) I decided to cancel my landline. I don't really use it and have only given the number to two or three people.....So, I call the phone company on Monday and requested to have the landline disconnected. They have yet to diconnect my phone. I can't help but think, if I had called and said I couldn't pay the bill, my phone would have been disconnected before I could hang up!

I actually don't know very many people with landlines anyway. My Mom, one of my sisters and that's about it. Everybody else uses their cell exclusively. Seniors get a break because there are companies out there who provide service at a reduced cost and have plans to fit our needs. Most provide free phones with a two year contract.  Vonage has a really good plan ranging from $9.99 for 200 minutes and $.05 a minute if you go over your limit, $17.99 for 500 minutes and  about $.04 if you go over. Verizon has a 65+ rate of $29.99  for 200 minutes and $.45 if you go over and lots of  other choices. Then there is Jitterbug and Sprint, just to name a few,  with good rates as well. It really depends on your usage,  budget and if you are a texter or not. I found two web sites in addition to AARP, especially for seniors....Safelink and Consumer Cellular, both geared to assist in low cost phones for seniors. Safelink even has free phones and for those who qualify free usage. As with anything do your own research before commiting to a plan.

No, I don't need a landline.....Welcome to the 21st Century!

No comments: